How to Create a Document Library in SharePoint
Create a document library in SharePoint to securely store files where you and your co-workers can find them easily, work on them together, and access them from any device at any time. SharePoint team sites include a document library by default, however, you can add additional document and other libraries to a site as needed.
What is a document library?
A document library provides a secure place to store files where you and your co-workers can find them easily, work on them together, and access them from any device at any time. For example, you can use a document library on a site in SharePoint to store all files related to a specific project or a specific client. Adding files or moving files between folders is as easy as dragging and dropping them from one location to another.
What can you do in a document library?
- Add, edit, delete a file, folder, or link from a SharePoint document library, co-author, and download documents.
- Control who has access to a library, a folder with in a library, or an individual file within a library.
- Track the activity on a file, such as when it was last modified, and receive a notification when something has changed.
- Create a custom view of a document library
- Share files or folders with others.
- Add a link in a document library to something that is stored outside the library, for example, a link to a file located in a different library or even a link to an external web page.
- Highlight a link, file or folder in a document library so you and others can get to them quickly.
How to create a document library
- Navigate to your team site on SharePoint
- Click on Add, list, Library
- Click on Document Library and give it a name
Once a name has been given to the document library, you will be directed to sharepoint site content, you should see the recently created document library among the list of contents
Click on New and then select folder
Give your folder a name
From here you can add, upload, create a new document(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote). We will be creating a folder with a word document and try sharing it with a user.
Click on the newly created folder to access the folder
Inside the folder, click on New and select Word Document(You will be redirected to a cloud version of Word App where u get to edit your files), you can also edit the document from the word App installed on your local computer, to do that:
Click on editing and select open in desktop app
Once you are done save your document and let’s move to the next phase of sharing the folder.
To share the Folder click, navigate to where your folder is and click on the 3 vertical dot beside the folder name and select share
Add email Address and click on send, a link will be sent to the recipient email address to access the folder.
Written by Segun Akande T.
Trainer | Mentor | Entrepreneur
Experienced in Management, Digital
Technologies and Sales Leadership for
Digital and Business Transformation in
Africa and UK
March 10, 2021
Other topics by Olusegun
- Threat Hunting
- Digital Culture in Nigeria
- S.M.A.R.T Investment in Digital
- Digital Culture: An Enabler for
Transformational Sales Experience
- Digital Culture: Road Map to a
Sustainable Performance Engine